If perfection is the standard, then the 303 Firecrest wheelset delivers everything you could ask for, including a heritage forged – and still thriving – in the world’s toughest races. At the center of the 303 Firecrest Tubular is the 77/177 hubset, an innovation that results in improved stiffness, durability, simplicity and versatility.
Zipp’s original 303 made history by becoming the first carbon wheelset to win cycling’s two most famous Cobbled Classics, Paris-Roubaix and the Tour of Flanders. The 303’s wider rim provided extra durability, and improved aerodynamics. That wider rim also led to the development of our revolutionary Firecrest platform platform that further reduces aerodynamic drag while increasing crosswind stability. The 303 Firecrest is a go-to wheelset for the pros of Boels-Dolmans, AG2R LA MONDIALE, Axeon Cycling and others.
Now the cycle of innovation continues with the inclusion of the 77/177 hubset – best-in-class durability and improved bearing protection with no pre-load adjustment needed.
- Optimized flange geometry and spoke hole attachment pattern with Sapim CX Sprint spokes to optimize torsional and lateral stiffness and robustness.
- Includes newly designed quick-release skewers with a wider more ergonomic handle to provide more leverage for opening and closing. When closed, lever contours neatly with the frame.
- New robust hub platform with distinctive graphics.
- The Firecrest shaping optimizes the aerodynamic profile of both the front half and the back half of the wheel. In addition, Firecrest moves the center of pressure of the wheel backwards, giving the 45mm-deep rim the crosswind stability a box-section rim. And because the 303 Firecrest’s 26.45mm-wide brake track (at center) has been optimized for wider tires, the ride quality is better than ever.
- The new wheels retain all the small details that make Zipp wheels what they are. Exposed spoke nipples sit in the aerodynamic shadow of the rims, keeping serviceability simple without compromising speed.
- Available in two decal options, the stealthy Matte Black or the distinctive Matte White decals. Each 303 Firecrest Tubular wheel comes with
- Tangente Platinum Pro Evo brake pads, Zipp Integrated Valve Extender with valve-core wrench, and quick release.
- Weight - 785g
- Hub Used - 177
- Rim Depth - 45mm
- Brake Track Width (center) - 26.45mm
- Max Width - 28.50mm
- Spokes - Sapim CX-Sprint
- Spoke Count - 24
- Spoke Length Non-Drive - 272mm
- Spoke Pattern Non-Drive - 2 cross
- Spoke Pattern Drive - 2 cross
- Spoke Length Drive - 270mm
- 11-speed compatible hub - Yes
- Track Adaptable - No
- Dimpled Surface - Yes
- Nipples - Sapim
- External Nipples - Yes
The wide profile of the 303 Firecrest is crucial to Zipp’s revolutionary Firecrest technology used to create wheels with superior aerodynamics as well as improved stability and handling.
The rear 303 Firecrest, however, may present some fitment issues for a small number of road and triathlon frames. The clearance between the chainstay and the rim may not be adequate to avoid contact between each other when ridden under load.
We urge customers who plan on riding the 303 Firecrest to test the wheel within the frame in which they intend to ride, under normal riding and road conditions, before purchasing. Clearance within individual frames of the same size, from the same manufacturer, may vary. That is why it is imperative that you test the wheel in your frame, or in the frame that you are considering purchasing.
Customers who run into this fitment issue may select any other spoked wheel within the Zipp lineup as an alternative, including the 404 Firecrest with its narrower aero-width profile.